Located in the Pine Belt in the Southeastern portion of Mississippi, Leakesville was established circa 1826 as the new county seat of Greene County by the legislature. The town was named in honor of Walter Leake the first territorial governor of Mississippi.
The site was chosen due to its location along the Chickasawhay River and the Paulding Road, one of the first Federal Roads to traverse the Piney Woods. During its early days the river served as the primary highway for commerce, with small steamboats trading at Leakesville, and ascending farther north. The principal industry during the early years was lumbering, farming, stock-raising, and turpentine.
Following the Civil War and Reconstruction, Leakesville along with the rest of the Pine Belt underwent a timber boom, as vast stretches of virgin long leaf pine were harvested. In addition, numerous sawmills and turpentine stills began operations in or near the town.
In 1903 the first railroad connection was established, when the Vinegar Bend Lumber Company extended their line to Leakesville, which was subsequently, connected to a line running to Pascagoula. The railroad caused an expansion of the already burgeoning timber industry causing the population to grow, and calls for incorporation.
Leakesville was incorporated as a Town in 1906 with J.E. Alderman, as the first mayor, with future U.S. Senator Pat Harrison as Town Marshall. This was the first ever elected office held by Pat Harrison.
Since incorporation the city has grown from 123 residents to approximately 1,050. The town is poised for future growth due to the presence of a new four-lane highway and expanding health care and education opportunities, as well as outdoor recreational activities.